Wednesday, May 10, 2017
On Saturday May 20th St. John’s Episcopal Church Getty Square, 1 Hudson Street, Yonkers, will participate in The New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites Open House weekend with guided tours from 2 PM to 4 PM led by congregation members Angie Piwinski, President, Board of Directors, Friends of Philipse Manor Hall, NYS Historic Site, along with Wayne Kempton, Archivist for the Episcopal Diocese of New York.
St. John’s contains some of the earliest examples of stained glass in America. Our oldest windows date from 1853 and contain elaborate work of English style and are located to the left and right of the main chancel windows. Just above the gallery is the great Rose Window and along the upper sides are the clerestory windows which are stenciled glass with the color painted onto clear glass. Other windows were made in London by Beaton, Butler and Bayne of London and Tiffany in New York, as well as studios in Germany and Italy. All kinds of stained glass techniques are represented.
The current church building was designed in 1872 by the architect William Tuckerman Potter. The original church was founded by law in 1693 and funded by Frederick Philipse II, Lord of the Manor of Philipsburg, one of the most important manors in New York State. This architectural fabric is the oldest stone Episcopal Church in New York State. Part of the earlier 1752 Colonial church is preserved and incorporated in the 1872 church, thereby being one of the earliest examples of historic preservation in America. It is one of the oldest stone churches in NY State, one of the finest examples of Potter’s work, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The congregation began work here as early as 1684. The first project in the parish was the founding of a school in the Mile Square area of Yonkers. This begins a long history of community service.
Since 1986 The New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites program has supported more than 750 religious institutions throughout the state which have received over $9.3 million in matching grants. Sacred Sites is the country’s oldest and largest statewide grant program to help landmark religious properties. For additional information on the Sacred Sites Open House Weekend, contact the New York Landmarks Conservancy at 212-995-5260 or email@example.com.